Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Another way MLS and the EPL are different

As if there were not already enough ways that the two leagues are different, I've found another one. The EPL's Fulham wants to expand their stadium's capacity by 4,000 seats, but how do they plan on doing this?

"Fulham are proposing to increase capacity in the Riverside Stand by removing the executive boxes."

I had to read that line a few times to believe it. When was the last time any team in the US removed high-priced executive boxes in order to allow more seating for regular fans? I really don't know if I've ever heard of such a thing.

Okay, maybe this doesn't really apply to the MLS just yet as most teams are just trying to get stadiums of their own, but the idea floored me. All in all, it seems like an excellent way to go. Good for Fulham.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I thought the same exact thing when I read that article, removing executive boxes? Really? LOL

12:47 PM  
Blogger Allen said...

IIRC the Charlotte Hornets got themselves a fancy, then-brand new arena built that turned out to be both large both in terms of seats and more so exec boxes. There was too much supply and it was too expensive to maintain.

It's an interesting comparison but I don't think it means much. US sports as a whole are more mature in terms of being a business and an important part of revenues involve selling those boxes. Fulham on the other hand, and this is a complete guess, is probably struggling to sell those exec boxes and has given up on trying to do it. Or they've been doing just fine, it's just years ago when they remodeled Craven Cottage they built too many and have never been able to lease all of them out. I'd be curious to know but it's not going to say much. Now when I see ManYoo, Arse and Iberiapool doing the same then we've got something going on.

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home