Thursday, May 03, 2007

Jason Kreis about to become Real's new coach

Real Salt Lake general manager Steve Pastorino as resigned and head coach John Ellinger is moving to a different position in the organization. This is not a huge surprise as the team is off to a very poor start to the season and doesn't seem to be progressing week to week. However, there is a surprise when it comes to the new coach.

Jason Kreis, MLS's all-time leading scorer, will retire and take over coaching duties. Ellinger will still stay with the organization, but will now be the team's technical director/director of soccer operations.

Oddly enough, I was going to write a post today about how Real need to remove Ellinger, but I wasn't sure who would take his spot. My first thought was former FC Dallas coach Colin Clarke. Actually, that was about as far as I had gone with my thinking, but I can assure you I didn't think a current player would become coach.

It will be interesting to see what the 34-year-old Kreis can do in Salt Lake.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger The Manly Ferry said...

Here's one name to fill that, or any other void, really: Dave Dir. I always liked that guy.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Allen said...

There are some other ones that, at least from 5280 feet, come to mind. Paul Mariner and Dennis Hamlet are two of them. John Murphy's another Asst Coach that's been around the league for awhile. And Colin Clarke would be another one.

I like Kreis but I'm not convinced this move is going to work out, especially in the short run. Kreis may be able to get them better organized defensively but I don't think they're going to turn things around unless they can pull off a trade or three. The extra cap room should help them bring in some defensive help.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home