Friday, August 11, 2006

Clint Dempsey broke Jimmy Conrad's jaw

Kansas City didn't need any more bad news, but they got it as their captain and last year's defender of the year Jimmy Conrad has been ruled out for 4-6 weeks due to a fractured jaw. Conrad's injury happened during Wednesday's match against New England when the Rev's midfielder Clint Dempsey hit Conrad in the jaw with his elbow why going for a header.

The smack happened in the second half, but Conrad was not subbed out.

Conrad has already missed 9 games this year due to national duty, injury and suspension. Kansas City has seven MLS games coming up between now and September 15th (five weeks from today). With their poor form of late, losing the key to their defense is horrible news and might just end the Wizard's hope of finding a playoff spot.

By the way, it looks like the incident that caused the break was not serious enough for a foul to be called or a card given.*

Update: On August 14th, Clint Dempsey was suspended for two matches and fined $1000 due to his actions. Add this to the suspension back in July and his fistfight with a teammate prior to the start of the season and you might just begin to see a pattern. Let's hope it's bad luck and not a bad temperament that keeps getting Dempsey into trouble.

* when I first published this I left out the 'it looks like' part of the sentence. Since I did not actually view the game (I was going by play-by-plays and news reports of the match, I should not have been so definitive. However, as seen in the comments, someone who watched it live seems to recall their being a foul. If that is the case, I am very wrong.

----
Don't forget the US Soccer Carnival part IV.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike H said...

You could be right. I was looking back at play-by-play calls and reports of the match and I found nothing. Maybe I should change my phrasing on that one.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home