Friday, April 28, 2006

A whole new ballgame

Last night I was flipping through the channels and happened to stop on Fox during an episode of That 70's Show. I hadn't seen the show in a few years, so I decided to watch a bit. The show really isn't any good anymore, but I did get a nice treat as the new Gatorade commercial featuring the US national team aired during a break.

The ad shows the US in foreign lands getting harassed, but yet still scoring. Best part of it all, it is set to "Take me out to the ball game" and ends with the tagline "A Whole New Ball Game."

I've heard reports of this commercial airing during baseball games, but I had yet to see it. It really is a nice ad, showing how difficult the sport can be.

The fact that this aired on national television during prime time is yet another example of the sport moving into the mainstream. Also, tying it to something as "all-American" as baseball is a unique move as one of soccer's biggest problems in the states is the view that it is a foreign game. In addition, it shows a hard foul, players treating injuries and rabid opposition, thus knocking at another negative view of soccer, that it's not a 'tough' game like American football.

But enough of my analyzing, just watch the ad yourself.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Crew Fan said...

I also liked the clips from the match in the snow. Soccer is for wimps, my foot!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Jarrett said...

Here's a link to the commercial
http://www.trisoccerfan.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=101

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the video!

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home