Tuesday, December 18, 2007

MLS original looking to return

After spending the last few seasons in Norway, Ramiro Corrales is looking to return to MLS

Corrales was part of the inaugural San Jose team, but also had playing time with Miami and the MetroStars. However, since he ended his MLS years with San Jose, who then moved to Houston, the Dynamo have the rights to his MLS future. His stated reason for this move is family in nature. That said, Houston is not expected to keep him under contract.

Although Toronto and New York are stated as interested teams, I'm guessing Frank Yallop wouldn't might landing Corrales. The two last spent time together in 2003, when the Earthquakes, coached then as now by Yallop, won the MLS Cup. Oddly enough, that was also Corrales's most productive season.

Now I must admit, Corrales is a name that has kind of drifted away from my memory in the last few years. In his early days, I thought he might prove to be an interesting part in the US's defense (he did play a role in the U-20 & U-23 teams but never really did much at the top level*), but that has kind of faded. What I remember of him, I liked, so I'm happy to see him coming back to the league.

The good news is his time in Europe was not a failure and he is not coming home with his tail between his legs. Instead, he is returning after several good seasons and at an age that will allow him to play some more quality seasons.

*I seem to recall him playing in one 2004 World Cup Qualifier and causing a penalty kick, but I might be wrong about that.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home