Saturday, January 20, 2007

US Men back in action - Starting lineup

US Men vs. Denmark
Today - 4pm
TV: ESPN2
Online: US Soccer matchtracker

After a 212-day break, the US men at set to return to the pitch in just a few minutes.

This is a very different team then the one we last saw fall to Ghana 2-1, but they will be looking to shake off the stench of 2006 and open up this new year with a big victory against Denmark.

Coach Bob Bradley has released his first lineup and, interestingly enough, it contains 4 forwards.

G - Matt Reis
D - Jonathan Bornstein, Chris Albright, Bobby Boswell, Jimmy Conrad
M - Pablo Mastroeni, Ricardo Clark
F - Eddie Johnson, Landon Donovan, Nate Jaqua, Chris Rolfe

It looks like all those calls for more offense have been answered.

Yes, this is an under strength match on both sides that means very little, but I am excited to see the men return to the field.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Pitch to Pub said...

Time Warner Cable is the worst! I had to be away from my TV during the game today, so I set the DVR. Simple right? Wrong, I get audio of the match, but my screen is black.

I'm assuming this is a problem with my cable box, but let me know if anyone ele experienced this.

Does anyone know where I can watch a replay of the match online? It doesn't look like it will be replayed on TV as far as I can tell.

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought they did well. I would really like to see some of these players get some building time over the next couple years. Particularly Bornstein, Cooper, Boswell, and Mapp.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Pitch to Pub said...

I've got a couple of questions maybe someone who saw the match can answer.

1. How did Eddie Johnson look? Any reason to be excited?

2. Of the few minutes of the match I listened to, particularly towards the end, I overheard Bruce Arena commenting on personnel and his assessment of how the forwards played. He seemed to be critical of the US forwards and singing high praise of Pablo Mastroeni.

I tend to disagree with his player evaluations, and was glad to see all of the fresh faces get time in the match. I hope Bradley tunes Arena's opinion out.

What were your thoughts on Bruce the commentator? Did he do a good job, or could you sense some bitterness?

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. EJ - I thought he was weak and in general was non-existent.
2. I thought Pablo played well, poor decision to earn a yellow but a solid holding midfielder in the match. Brice is right, the forwards were weak. Look where the goals came from.
3. Bruce did ok. In general I have enjoyed his role as an announcer, especially opposite of Wynalda (who I dislike in all other scenarios except for when he is paired with BA). I detected bitterness to US soccer based on the volume of his complaints regarding the interim status of BB. However, in most other cases I thought he was positive - especially in his support of BB. He was pretty tough on Landon (deservedly so). Some more player eval thoughts at my site (see profile).

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home