Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Brian McBride retires from international soccer

Brian McBride made it official today, he will never again wear the uniform of the red, white and blue. Over the last 13-years McBride has been a workhorse for the US team. In his 95 international matches he scored 30 goals. His decision to leave the team at the age of 34 is not a surprise, but still it is sad to see him go.

“This is a special day in that I have the opportunity to thank U.S. Soccer for all it has done for me and my family,” said McBride. “The consistent and determined efforts of the coaches, staff and players at U.S. Soccer have helped bless me with the honor of being a part of three World Cups and playing the game I love over many years since first being called up in 1993. I will truly miss being part of the team. Additionally, I want to thank the fans of U.S. Soccer for their enthusiasm and support. Without the encouragement and warm words from many fans, I would not be where I am today.

“I also want to send special thanks to my wife Dina, and my children Ashley and Ella. Having their support and seeing their smiling faces in the crowd has only made these years more memorable.”

With McBride gone, the US need to find a man to front their attack. Eddie Johnson, Brian Ching, Taylor Twellmann and others have some big boots to fill.

Brian, thanks for everything.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Say it isnt so! UHHH, what a sad day! I Love Him!

4:08 PM  
Blogger The Manly Ferry said...

I can't possibly top lace's comment. Could be I'm a heartless a-hole. Still, I hope my affection for the Big Man comes through in these extended comments.

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home