Tuesday, June 13, 2006

And to Germany I go

With the better part of 24-hours having pasted since the let down of the first match, I can now say that I am cautiously optimistic. Perhaps it is just me hoping for something or the fact that in a few hours I'll be jumping on a plane to take me to Germany, but I think this could end up making it out of group play with a two game winning streak.

The Italian match has now become must win and after watching them play Ghana, I feel confident that we will win as I think Italy showed some weaknesses. Get a result from that one and then take a run at Ghana (a good team, but one we will beat) and we go through.

I think the big question for Saturday's match is the US midfield (specifically the right side). If the holes can be filled and a few more balls can find their way up to McBride, Donovan, Johnson or whoever is up top, then we have a game. On defense, I think they will settle and come out much more even. When the Gooch got that yellow card in the first 4 minutes, it threw him off, which lead to the first goal, which lead to his overall poor game. Against Italy, he should not have such distractions.

Anyway, I'll try to update from the ground in Germany. Enjoy the games.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's going to be a very difficult match against Italy. Because Italy is one of the strongest teams!
Oh by the way , I have a poll on the world-cup on my website, please check it out.
;-)

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, I'm very envious that you're going to Germany! I'm glad to read your optimistic words. That's a good point that you make about Gooch's yellow card. I had thought the same thing--he wasn't the same player after that.

At this point, there's nowhere to go but up, so let's keep our hopes high for some kind of miracle. After all, did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you thought FIFA rankings suck, check out http://www.freewebs.com/footballrankings

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home