Tuesday, May 02, 2006

If I were Roster Claus...

If you are looking for the actual World Cup roster, look here.

In 6 hours, Roster Claus will announce his squad for Germany. This means two things. Players will no longer need to wonder 'is this going to help me get to the World Cup' and everyone gets to take a moment and be Bruce Arena by attempting to pick the 23-man roster.

So who am I to argue with tradition or fate or whatever it you want to call it.

Here is my guess at the 23 players about to get tickets to the world's greatest show:

Goalkeepers:
Kasey Keller, Marcus Hehnemann, Tim Howard

Defenders:
Gregg Berhalter, Eddie Lewis, Oguchi Onyewu, Eddie Pope, Carlos Bocanegra, Steve Cherundolo, Cory Gibbs, Frankie Hejduk

Midfielders:
DaMarcus Beasley, Bobby Convey, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Pablo Mastroeni, John O'Brien, Ben Olsen, Claudio Reyna

Forwards:
Eddie Johnson, Brian McBride, Taylor Twellman, Josh Wolff

By the way, it seems Arena will contact most players via email to let them know the news. His reason, "I have enough issues to deal with the 23 rather than spending all the time on the ones that aren't part of it which is not to handle it lightly, either. I will do everything I can to give these players their due respect, but it's virtually impossible to deal with all of them on the phone."

For all of us that waited by their email for 24+ hours waiting to hear if we got our tickets to the World Cup, well that pales in significance to what these players must be feeling.

But back to the roster, I think the position with the greatest chance of a surprise is forward. He could name Donovan as a forward, thus dropping either Wolff or Twellman (I would guess Wolff) or Ching will find a way onto the list due to his ability to get goals off set pieces (again Wolff or Twellman will be the odd one out).

Another idea that has been passed around is added Connor Casey instead of Twellman. Oh, Kenny Cooper's dad wanted me to say that there is a chance Kenny Cooper might make the team (just a little joking around, as Cooper will be a part of 2010).

Other changes, a few midfielders might be moved to defenders (or the other way around), but I think I'll get at least 12 of the 16 names I listed on the final roster. Finally, as I said last night, if John O'Brien's name is not included, I think it's because the injury he suffered last week is much greater then we have been told.

Just a few more hours till ESPN's time with Roster Claus (6pm ET).

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home