Monday, September 19, 2005

Soccer player dies after scoring goal

This is a story that sucks the air out of me. Daniel Young scored a "cracking goal" from 25 yards out and then collapsed in the center circle. He was taken to the hospital suffering cardiac arrest. He died later in the day.

The worse part of the story is Daniel was only 16 years old. Sixteen and dead from a heart attack, doesn't seem real.

I'm sure most of us can relate to playing the great game at that age. I worried about any number of things (like why that certain halfback seems to keep missing the ball and kicking me in the shin), but never that my heart was about to give out.

His parents have asked "for anyone who attends his funeral to wear a football shirt, as a celebration of his life." I plan on wearing a soccer shirt on Wednesday, or whenever the funeral is held, in his honor.

My heart goes out to them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home