Monday, July 25, 2005

The MLS weekend that was

The goal everyone is talking about. Freddy Adu gets the game winner in extra time of the second half making me 0-2 on the weekend. It was a fantastic shot, but who could have guessed LA would not be able to capitalize on any of their many trips into the DC area. DC's goalie, Nick Rimando, deserves as much credit as Adu does in this win.

So, between the DC win and Chivas's surprise victory (see a few posts below) I was down 2 games, no big deal. The DC game was not a big surprise. Both are good times and play great matches when they get together, on to Columbus and KC.

I won, I won. I mean, Columbus won, I just guessed right. All Crew fans (hello, anyone) have got to love the Warzycha era. He is 2-1-0 and looking to move Columbus out of that stinky, yellow fever infested basement they are in. Knox Cameron found the net twice and it would have been much harder if Robin Fraser had not saved a Klein knock that got past Columbus keeper Jonny Walker (take a drink). All right, things are getting better; I'm 1-2 and ready for Colorado and Chicago.

Oh my, was I ever wrong. The Rapids scored 4 goals in this match. Before this match, they had scored 20 goals in 19 games. I might not be the math mind that my nephew Sean is, but I think that is about 1 goal per game. I'm still not sure how they did it. The best I can figure is that luck be a Rapids fan Saturday night. Nkong got 2 goals, Cunningham scored in the 70th and defender Denton got a nice bounce off the post for the other goal.

Oh, this isn't looking good. 1-3, but I still have the Dallas match in hand.

I need a new hand. Real Salt Lake just smashed the crap out of Dallas. Clint Mathis showed his talent, as did Jordan Cila. The Dallas defense, well there was none. After the half, Dallas did come up with some life, but it was only temporary. They must be aching for Eddie Johnson to return.

So, 1-4, wow, not good. But I did manage to get the score of the Salt Lake game correct, just messed up the teams. So would the MetroStars shake the 'Quakes and make me look like the Chivas USA of last month?

The Earthquakes of San Jose did manage to pull out a win, but they tried to loose it for me. In the 32nd minute, Ricardo Clark deflected a cross by Ryan Suarez past his own keeper and into the goal. But remember this is the MetroStars we are talking about. They live to give the ball away. The 'Quakes took advantage of this and tied the game about a minute later on a header by Eddie Gaven. In the 53rd minute, Gaven passed to a streaking De Rosario who took the ball straight up the middle and planted it in the left corner of the net. There were some complaints by the MetroStars concerning Gaven and the use of his hands, but if the ref doesn’t see it, it didn't happen.

So how did I end up? 2-4. Not a very good weekend. Did I mention that I picked the winner of the Gold Cup?

My Guesses vs. Final Scores
Game (my guess) Final score
Chivas - New England (0-2) 1-0
LA - DC (2-1) 0-1
Columbus - KC (1-0) 2-0
Colorado - Chicago (1-1) 4-1
Salt Lake - Dallas (0-3) 3-0
San Jose - MetroStars (2-0) 2-1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home